Wednesday, June 22, 2011
The Bad Bad Boys of Saloons – 3 P.M. Thursday, July 21, 2011 – Tales of the Cocktail
Sure, you could go to one of those earnest seminars with qualified and respectable bartenders who will teach you cutting-edge or historical bar techniques that will add to your understanding of the art and science of the bar. Or, you could come hang out with James Waller and Christine Sismondo, who will regale you with stories you’ve almost certainly never heard before, or are likely to in polite company.
Slumming, after all, is one of the great American pastimes, which, incidentally, is one of our best topics.
As if you need any more reasons, here are my top five:
1. By Thursday at 3pm, you will be over your first hangover and very ready for a Mule Skinner to round out your afternoon.
2. You don’t have to leave the hotel – which means one less shirt change.
3. Bad bars and the people who frequent them are far more fun than good ones.
4. You almost never get a chance to see James Waller and Christine Sismondo in the flesh, since they are usually either reclusively writing and drinking whiskey at home or found in bars you can’t tell your mother about. This may be your only chance to see us and confirm we actually exist.
5. This seminar will almost certainly be the cult hit of Tales of the Cocktail 2011.
Add to this, the fact that we promise not to use the words "mise en place."
Where: Queen Anne Ballroom, Hotel Monteleone, Tales of the Cocktail, New Orleans, Louisiana.
When: 3pm-4:30, Thursday, July 21, 2011
What: Maybe the most dynamic, fun and sensational seminar on the history of bad bars you’re likely to see.
Why: Because it will justify James and Christine’s idea that spending a lifetime drinking in bars was not actually a waste of time and promising lives.
Posted by Christine at 3:25 PM